Formal Introductory Letter


Dear Professor Brad,


My name is Alvin Lim and I am writing to formally introduce myself to you. I have a strong background in civil engineering, having completed my studies in civil engineering with business at Singapore Polytechnic (SP) and studying civil structural engineering design at the Institute of Technical Education (ITE). Currently, I am in my first year of a Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). 

Despite my extensive education in civil engineering, I am eager to continue learning and growing in this field, as I believe that there is always more to learn as we progress into the next phase of life.

As a person, I am an ambivert. Possessing qualities of both introverts and extroverts. I am able to adapt well to different social scenarios, being outgoing and sociable in some settings and more reserved and introverted in others. As the President of the Bowling Club at SIT has further developed my leadership and communication skills. I am comfortable speaking to a crowd and relaying important information to my team members. 

However, I acknowledge that my grammar and vocabulary are areas I need to improve upon. While I have confidence speaking to the crowd, I am aware that sometimes my poor grammar and vocabulary lead to laughter and judgment from people. I hope to improve these skills through time and practice.

My primary goal in this module is to sharpen my communication skills, particularly in technical writing. I believe that clear and effective communication is essential for success in the industry, and I am eager to learn more in order to continue to grow and develop my abilities. Additionally, I also aim to improve my technical writing abilities, as clear and accurate technical documentation is critical in the field of engineering. I am excited to work on this goal in this module.


Yours Sincerely,
Alvin Lim

Comments

  1. Hi Alvin, I agree that effective communication is crucial in the building construction industry. You delivered your content clearly and orderly in this letter. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chiu Pin, thank you for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alvin, thank you for sharing more about yourself ! I believe we have similar goals in trying to improve our technical writing abilities, and i hope that we can achieve that! I look forward to getting to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen Jee, thank you for your feedback. I hope that we would work together towards the goals that we would like to achieve.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alvin! Thanks for introducing yourself! I admire your extensive experience and depth of knowledge in the field of engineering. Though I agree that grammar and vocabulary are important areas in communication or writing, you need not feel shame or give in to judgement from others. You should adopt a positive growth mindset and keep improving and refine the areas of your weaknesses. I look forward to seeing you achieve your goals for this module!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony, thank you for the feedback. Yes I will still try to be as confident as possible and not care about other people judgement. Hope you will reach the goals you hope to achieve as well!

      Delete
  4. Dear Alvin,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and fairly well substantiated letter. The content is in line with the assignment brief, you organize your ideas fairly well and the language use is good. You've also done well by providing some supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain a clearer understanding of the person you are. Two points mentioned are the fact that you see yourself as an ambivert and you have leadership skills.

    In the discussion of how your interest in engineering developed, you also detail how you have focused on civil engineering at various levels. A lingering question for me is what might have spurred this interest in the first place.

    You also demonstrate a willingness to improve in areas like tech writing and language use, which will be important as you move toward communication excellence. Here's two areas of sentence structure/caps you might take note of:
    -- Possessing qualities of both introverts and extroverts. > (fragment) ?
    -- As the President of the Bowling Club at SIT has further developed... > (no subject/caps issue) Being the president of the bowling club at SIT has further developed ....

    I look forward to hearing more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof, thank you for your constructive feedback. I’ll take note on those things that you have mentioned so far and make the necessary improvements.

      Delete

Post a Comment